Thursday, April 8, 2010

True or False: People Can Change

False: I used to think that people could change.  You know, like Ebenezer Scrooge, who changes from an old frugal dickhead to a fun-loving old man who throws gold coins everywhere.  But then I realized that was just pure fiction.  I noticed that people are just set in their ways, and that they are just going to act consistent with the way they always would.  If they were good people, they'll stay good people.  If they were dickheads, they'll stay dickheads.  Once a dork, always a dork and so on and so forth.  People are just born a certain way and there's nothing they can do about it to change.  And then I realized... whoa, I just changed myself, by changing my belief in whether people can change or not.  If I could change my opinion on such a core belief, so could anyone.  All it takes is a little inspiration and maybe a visit from some ghosts or something.  Thus I changed back to believing in the fact that people can indeed change.  But hold on a minute.  I then realized that my fundamental basis for believing that people can change, namely that I changed myself by changing my belief that people can change, was in fact a lie.  I hadn't changed.  I had gone right back to the original belief that I had, that people can indeed change.  Because I had demonstrated that I had not changed myself, I realized that people don't really change, they are always the same as they were originally.  Thus, there you have it.  People cannot change, even though I truly believe otherwise.

No comments: